Friday, October 1, 2010

That lasts Forever...

Living away from your home country gives you a different perspective on things and situations you never thought were even a part of your existence. Things that you used to laugh off as they were so umimportant or made jokes about as they were so lame. Now for example take these:

Mehbooba ke pyaar mein mar gaya peter,
Mehbooba ke pyaar mein mar gaya peter,
Hero Honda Splendor 80km/Litre.

2 Cockroach ICU mein ek dusre ke bagal waale bed mein admit the.
Pehla Cockroach: "Kya dost Baygon se?
Dusra Cockroach: "Nahin re Paragon se."

Now, dont throw paper balls at me. I truly understand the frustration you might have reading these. Even the lamest of the people dont find this funny enough to chuckle at. And I didnt either till about a couple of months back. I dont know what has taken over me. I was in despair and felt grossly sad that the next generation might never know what a legacy Paragon was and how their advertisements were the worst ones ever made. They would never understand what pride those tight pant romeos with rumal around their neck had when they zoomed past by a seedhi saadhi Indian ladki on their Hero Honda Splendor. There are these small things in life that have made me the Indian that I am. I have fallen in love with these things unknowingly and I am fond of them. There lies a beauty in these imperfections.

If I plan to live in US and raise my kids here, how will they ever know the likes of Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand, and Rajesh Khanna? And worse still they will never be able to mimic any of these lengends in the Uncle-Aunty gatherings. (Oh God.. How much I hated when I had to dance in front of an un-interested audience). Recently I was listening to "Isharon Isharon mein dil lene waale - Kashmir ki Kali" and I couldnt fall in love with Sharmila Tagore once again.

These are all memories from my childhood and my kids will surely will have their own memories, but where will all this go? Who will carry the name of Paragon ahead? I am just getting paranoid. I guess I am growing old. I do see some wrinkles next to my eyes!! Anyway, so this has been my concern for a while. The question is which is better? - The traditional upbringing with my kids fighting the scarcity of water & electricity, crazy bus travels, and love for people - tooo many people. Or the higher quality of life in US with clean air and clean water, higher quality of education but still dumb people around, and lots of beer? Very difficult choice indeed!!

I am too proud of an Indian. I always respected the culture in India but now I appreciate it too. Its bold, vibrant, rich, and deep-rooted.

Current Status - In love with my coutry and my upbringing.

No comments: