Thursday, January 3, 2008

Pune chi mulgi

:) I like the title. Not that I literally mean that for myself, but then I definitely am more of a Puneite than anything else. Having spent almost half of my living years there so far, the city has gotten into me. I am today what that city has made of me. My thoughts, my approach, my reactions, they all talk of the ways Pune has moulded me into a different person. Not that if I was brought up somewhere else I wouldn't have been 'upto the mark' but I would rather say, Pune has given me space to grow and become, what I would call, a better person.

Last week on my trip to Pune, more official than personal, the above sentiments were seconded. I felt so much more confident and aware. But then strangely I didnt feel the urge to come back to it. I was satisfied staying away from it. I can relate these sentiments of mine to the popular U2 song - 'With or Without You'. Yeah, its a different thing that there are lot many moments, instances and people that I can relate this song to. But that is beside the point. The point is that I have so many memories attached to that place that it pulls me back and hinders me from moving forward. And I dont want my past to obstruct my movement instead I want it as the foundation to my happy future...(yeah yeah...).

The day I was to fly to Pune I had this 'not so positive' feeling. I was a little scared. I don't know of what. May be because I was apprehensive about the response the city and its people (my friends and acquaintances) would give me or because I was dreading running into some one I didnt want to. But to my surprise my apprehensions were proved wrong and I didnt run into anyone I didnt want to.

Though it was a 7 day long trip, I fell short of time to meet everyone I would have liked to meet. I was clearly overwhelmed to be there. Not just for the people, but for its wada pav and kachchi dhabeli, for Bombay Store and Wonderland, for Koregaon Park and Kalyani Nagar, for Flags and Toaks and also for that small, tiny Hanuman Temple at MG Road. I had tears in my eyes as I stood in front of that disoriented Hanuman idol recalling the times when I used to visit him so often and fight with him for everything that I thought went wrong in my life. I was infused with emotions which I cannot even explain. There were only two people who knew exacty what I felt - my Mom and Madhav. I was going berserk trying to cover every part of the city and experience all aspects of it. And I am happy that I could manage to squeeze in quite a lot.

Debjani, Charu and me finally had our 'Niiiiiiiiice' dinner followed by a stayover at Charu's place. It had been pending for quite sometime. And I must say it went out pretty well and it would be something that I will cherish for quite a while till a similar something would happen next. Chantili Merlot, a corner table with the right amount of light, elegant dresses and well suited fragrances - best way to meet up with old friends and cherish those long lost college memories. The night came in with each of us sharing our experiences on the much hyped topic - love. Naaa, that actually was not the topic. We still haven't gotten that lame. Well, we were talking about relationships - Our relationships, a topic which has never been a part of our conversations for the 3 years that we knew each other. Some long distance relationships dont work and some grow stronger. I guess the latter is the case with us. I was happy I met them - my beloved Prozzhect Parrrtnerrs.

Munira's/Anjali's place was like an abode in heaven. By Bangalore standards, the rent was reasonable for the posh locality that it belonged to. A nice 2BHK with a homely feeling which I am sure is Munira's and Anjali's effort. Munira's room was very well kept. It forced me to gather my scattered thoughts of how I would have liked to have my own place/room once I start working. A lamp would be on top of the list and she had just that - a very smart lamp. I was surely impressed. But then some practicalities have to be lived with. I cannot have a room that I had dreamt of in my college days and before in the near future. Thats the end.

A surprising 'good' visit was that of Honnatti's. We were together for 4 hours and we spoke non-stop without either of us getting bored or running out of topics. There are some friends with who the distance in the time dimension doesn't matter. Even though you meet that person after a time span that is long enough to have forgotten his/her face, you can still relate to him/her without that awkward feeling of 'not being in touch' haunting you. Pranav is one of them and I felt the same for Honnatti.

All in all I had a fun time in Pune. Thanks to IBM that made my stay there so comfortable and inexpensive (I was in love with my Hotel room). Heehee. Although I got MicroStrategy Certified in this trip (which is a big thing), there would be other things/feelings that I would remember this trip by.

1 comment:

teacup said...

Ahem...I think I know you from somewhere? Oh yeah! We met in Pune the last time you came here, didn't we? :|