Saturday, January 12, 2008

Taare Zameen Par

Amir Khan has done it yet again. Some of his movies are such that I crave to be a part of them. They challenge your creativity (even if it is miniscule in you). Off late I find myself venturing into a lot of new areas, viz. reading books(thats a big one for me), getting an insight into Indian and world history, politics, economy, watching and appreciating good movies etc. So that makes me think - why not be a part of a film? Here I dont mean to be the skimpily clad item girl of a Emraan Hashmi movie , but be behind the scene and experience the making of a film. And watching Amir Khan's directorial debut only strengthened my thought. The attention to detail showed and the result was a classic. Amol Gupte's script was the strongest contender for the topspot in the movie but not the only one. The direction and the protagonists' acting stood equal chance. When the credits rolled in at the end what caught my eye was the fact that all of Ishaan's paintings were a result of Amol's artistic work. Somehow that made me believe that Amol himself is dyslexic and I could relate the story, he narrated through the film, to him. I guess like every Indian mind I was trying too to add some masala to the very simple but yet meanigful story of Taare Zameen Par. But even after enough googling I couldnt find a suitable proof for my last statement.

But that was not the only thing that caught my attention while the credits were rolling in. Everyone has been talking/writing about the movie and the new something that it has given to the Indian cinema. But I wonder how many viewer's attention did the documentary at the end of the movie catch. I am not fond of kids. Their antics is something that I detest. Toddlers are a nuisance with their potty routine but they are cute and gentle and moreover they cant talk. I find them adorable. But these four/five year olds, with their oozing confidence of knowing the world better than you, put me to shame. And their questions leave me tongue tied. I think its not them but its my inefficiency to match up to their expectations that makes them unlikeable to me. And to negate these feelings in me would definitely take a lot of convincing and education. But the 4 mins documentary did just that. This is what is truly called 'Art' and this is why it is not everyone's cup of tea. Child's innocence is the most difficult to capture as it cannot be enacted. It comes like a whisk of fresh air and goes away as quickly as that. My perspective changed in a matter of 4 mins and trust me I am not so easy. Kudos to the documentaty maker/director. I sure am inspired.

No comments: