Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Crickets are noisy

Does anyone remember the little creatures (I wonder if they are little coz I have never seen them) that we heard almost every night as kids. I dont know about the rest but the army kids definitely would have as the army quarters were almost always in the midst of a jungle. The krrr-krrr sound of theirs was synonymous with the eerieness of the night. It was a signal that the evil night has crept in and the warmth of the sun is now a distant thought. But in a way they kept the liveliness alive else the silence of the dark was so profound that it had the power to swallow you. This is something which one generally doesnt experience these days in the big cities but it still is part and parcel of every person's night life in the smaller towns. And when you talk about 15 years back, Crickets definitely existed and tortured you. Yes! Crickets is what I am talking about. Creatures that I have never seen or may be I have but the reason that I talk about them even today is because of their ability to make their presence felt.

And at some point of time in my life I used to wonder 'why are they called Crickets?' Indifferent creatures and the most valued and popular sport in India and a big part of the world share the same name!!! One of them must have got their name from the other. There had to be something - some similarity or reason for them to have a commom name between them. And I know now. They are both noisy.

It isnt for a long period that Cricket in India doesnt remain in the news. It could be for the right reasons or the wrong but Cricket has always made news. Starting right from the T20 win over Pakistan where Dhoni supposedly followed the captain's tradition of removing his Tee to his haircut which made waves among the local junta to his alleged liking for Deepika Padukone to Yuvraj stealing away the gal to blah blah.. And then the media ran out of topics but not for very long. It came back with a bigger bang. The sydney Test - partial umpiring by Bucknor and ponting umpiring by Benson. The Symonds-Harbhajan controversy over racial abuse where by the Indian newspapers are contemplating that Bhajji must have said 'teri maa ki..' and not monkey. I should give all the credits to our man Bhajji for having the English newspapers flash 'teri maa ka..' on the front page. This made a hilarious read. And if this was not enough for the media to handle, it was followed by the Perth test - a historic win as was said by Sunil Gavaskar. We dont even get the time to digest this when the news about the British PM's remark of honouring Sachin Tendulkar with knighhood comes tumbling by. And I am sure as I am writing this there is more news brewing up somewhere about Cricket.

As far as I am concerned, I am happy to have found the answer to my 15 years old question. I know now that they are both noisy. Although I yet dont know who got the name from who?

1 comment:

SwB said...

yeah thats an interesting thought actually ... how did the game of cricket get its name? dont think its got anything to do with the insect though.

hope u had a good weekend.